Tuesday, October 16, 2012

5 years

My baby boy turned 5 years old today.  That means I have been a mother that long too. For some reason I was very emotional about it all. I guess I've been reflecting about these years and how far we've come...together.  Three days into Will's life we knew we were not on the typical baby journey.  We spent his first four months living in the hospital, hoping and praying that he would make it through each day. We spent his first birthday waiting for him to get out of recovery from brain surgery. By age 2 my little guy had been through 13 surgeries.  Thirteen times we have been sat down and had explained that Will's surgery is " complex" and "serious" and he may not make it through, or there is risk of bleeding, or they can't promise success. 13 times we cried and feared we'd lose him and sent him under a knife anyways because it was the best we could do for him.
I sit back and I look at my 5 year old boy now. The one that has been generally healthy for years ( yes plural!) The one who is going to kindergarten, making lots of friends, being a big brother and making me smile on a daily basis. Does he talk? Walk? See? Hear?  Yes...no...maybe.  Is he happy? Learning? Developing? yes Yes YES!  He taught me what a miracle was. He's reminded me what faith looks and feels like. He's my hope and inspiration.  He is the epitome of love. 5 years!? This kid has lived a lifetime in those 5 years...those 1850 days of life.  The rest is just for the joy of it.
Happy birthday William Murray Rossi. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment